Monday, September 21, 2009

Estoy Aquí!


Ive been in Spain for a little more than a day and already I've had some great moments. Yesterday after a 14 hour journey to Mallorca I met my dad at the airport (my Dad came to help me settle in, but he decided to make a mini vacation out of it and sandwich the four days that’s he’s here in Palma with three days in Barcelona and three days in Madrid. Elizabeth, my dad’s best friend is also here). After we went to his hotel I called my roommates and told them we were on our way. They offered to drive to the hotel and bring us to the apartment –that was, of course, before they knew I had two full size suitcases, a mini suitcase, two duffel bags, and a backpack. Let’s just say the look on their face when they saw an elevator filled with my bags was priceless.
My roommates are extremely sweet and welcoming. Pinwadee ( or Pin) is from Thailand, but has lived in Spain for five years. Shes 27 years old and shares a room in our apartment with Stéphane, a guy from France who came to Mallorca six months ago to learn Spanish and is currently looking for a job. My third roommate is actually from Spain. Her name is Maria Jose and I love her already. She’s in her mid-thirties and has a really outgoing personality. Last night she invited me to go to the supermarket with her, so we had some time to bond. Just so you can get an idea of how nice my roommates are, last night after I came home from dinner I found a set of clean sheets folded on my bed. Pin told me that Stéphane put them there because he noticed that I didn’t have any. Then when Stéphane came home I thanked him for the sheets and he offered me towels, food, drinks, soap (pretty much everything you can think of). So I definitely feel lucky to have found an apartment with such great roommates, I have a feeling we are going to get along and I'm sure I am going to learn a ton from them. And my apartment is great. Its clean, has a big living room, a balcony, and is right next to a cultural center with a bakery, library, tapas restaurant, park, and movie theater. The only downside is that it doesn’t have wireless, which I’m working on getting. 

 





This picture is taken at the Arab Baths House in Palma, which is from the 10th century and is one of the last remnants of the Moorish presence in Mallorca.  

1 comment:

  1. Good to see you've finally arrived and are settling in. Here's something that might be worth checking out when you have the time.

    www.kitemallorca.com

    Regi

    ReplyDelete